Search This Blog

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Observations and obstacles

This evening, as I expected, I sorta forgot about dinner... so there was no meat defrosted.  (Gosh this blog is revealing my flaws at a tremendous rate!)  There was little time, so I peaked into the pantry and found Old Faithful...

    8 minutes and serve.

I even had C  take over so I could do some things.  This is why removing wheat will be challenging:

1. Old habits create minor emergencies, which cannot be fixed in 8 minutes.

2. It's easy to leave one of the older two kids to take care of making it and serving it.  

3. Little mess, less clean up.

However, this evening I had one very hungry V on my hands.  It was only an hour or so after she ate and she was HUNGRY.  She's the biggest whiner in the house, so it was, "Mom, I'm really starving!"  and "Mom, can I go to the snack stand?" and "Mom, I am so hungry!" all during Blue and White Night...


GO SCOUTS!                      


I finally broke down and took her to the concession stand.  Two dollars later, she was happily eating a soft pretzel (and I had my coffee, hence the other dollar).  What choices were available?  (and please understand, I get how concession stands work.  This is not meant to be insulting to our schools concessions).

Doritos, Potato Chips, CANDY, CANDY, CANDY and soft pretzels.  Well, there was also ice cream sandwiches, water ice and fruit popsicles, but it was too cold for those.  I can't help but think a month ago I would have considered the soft pretzel the BEST option.  And, was it?  I really am not sure.

After the athletes were released, I had a starving J on my hands!  Oh, I lied... V is NOT the biggest whiner in the world.  J is!  Hands down.  She also gets the prize because she gives the best body language and mopes and fusses and contorts her face that that she appears utterly pathetic.  Got her a pretzel and FAST.  Why not get one for N and one for C?  Only fair right?  That gives them snack for the night, so all I have to do is get home, they can chill, and get ready for bed.

WRONG.  By 8:30 I had FOUR HUNGRY CHILDREN.  Good Lord!!!!    Could this be dehydration showing itself as hunger?  No, most likely it wasn't.  I asked N... why do you think you are still hungry.  As if she's bee listening all week, she says, "Well, we ate wheat products which are known to make you feel hungry.  And it's not filling, even though we think it should be." Could it be???  Has she been listening to me?

C grabbed an apple, N grabbed some peanut butter... on a schtick!  (Jeff Dunham humor) and some fresh apples and grapes.  J took a handful of raisins and V had.. I dunno, she didn't complain so maybe she just had a glass of milk.

  

wow.  good choices.  

Could they be getting it??

I didn't eat the pasta, if you were wondering.  I grabbed a cheese stick and a yogurt and ate while I drove to drop them all off. Certainly not what I would have preferred, which was a salad that I could put together and eat at cheerleading practice.  But, time... the time just flies...

When I got home, I had a bowl of grapes, apples and strawberries with a serving of vanilla greek yogurt on top and a sprinkle of all natural granola.  Delish!  Totally satisfying.

So, the obstacles?  Concession stand choices and busy schedules.  But, let's face it.  The real problem was me and my not choosing to

a. plan ahead of time,
b. prepare a descent meal, 
c. not offer pasta, 
d. pack appropriate snacks 

It's not rocket science, but in this busy life I lead, it happens.  I'm not going to beat myself up over this, but I will learn from it.

And, just to end the day on a positive note, with the myotape, I have seen a reduction of a few inches along the waistline.  Could it be that removing the wheat has caused me to eat less and weigh less?  Eh... maybe.  Too early to tell, but my fingers are crossed!


No comments:

Post a Comment