Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Pantry Makeover in Progress

Everything in print says when you make huge dietary changes that you must rid your kitchen of the bad things.  They say, "throw it away" ... I can't.  It costs money and it's wasteful to just pitch food.  Yes, I suppose I could donate to a food pantry, but I am just not there yet.  Besides, I want to transition my kids slowly, so they don't feel that it's so dramatic a change.  Remaining in our pantry are the following items:  Honey Nut Cheerios, Frosted Mini Wheats, granola bars, animal crackers, Lance cracker packs for school lunches. In the freezer:  Waffles, bread and pot pies.

Not much really.  There's no cake mixes, brownies, other cookies.  I am not eating a lick of it.  :)

So what are we eating?

Dinner last night: 4 bone-in chicken breasts (baked with skin on, lightly salted and peppered.  Steamed fresh broccoli, fresh carrot sticks and milk.   BAM!  Now that's healthy!  And filling.  No complaints, easy prep and broccoli was on sale at Redners - as was the chicken!  SCORE!

Snacks are another thing... however, I did find some options that are wheat free.  Not exactly the same types of things, but snacks.  Chocolate rice cakes - YUM!, popcorn chips with sea salt, torilla chips made with corn.  Yes, processed, but we are working on this a little a time.  The kids are enjoying the new options so far.  I am not pushing it upon them, but simply offering them as options.

Lunches?  I was able to pack N a 100% wheat free lunch today.  Honestly, that's not hard for her, she doesn't like sandwiches.  So she had a cheese stick, a go-gurt, a bowl of watermelon, strawberries and grapes, carrot sticks, popcorn chips and a fruit juice. Fruits, veggies, dairy, proteins.  It's good stuff.

The blondes wanted PB&J and I allowed it.  But they also received carrot sticks, go-gurt, cheese sticks and juice.  C bought, so who knows!

What I am observing...

An interest in knowledge.  They love talking about it.  They love finding out what does and doesn't have wheat.  They are amazed when I tell them that some of the foods that we can purchase in the grocery store are essential TOXIC to our bodies.  It's so easy for kids, "Then why would anyone eat that?"   It's simple, really.  Right?

If it is REAL, eat it.  Real means...

Whole foods... fruits, veggies, nuts, eggs, meat.  Real, un-messed with foods.  But what about cheese and yogurt?  They are messed with, but not processed? Is that how to classify those?

Here's what I am seeing, refined = bad.  The more refined the worse it is.  Bad for what exactly?  Our veins and arteries. Those refined grains cause inflammation in our arteries and veins.  Our body responds to this inflammation by attempting to "put the fire out by laying down plaque.  Layers and layers of plaque in our veins and arteries does what?  Anyone?  Anyone?

BUELLER?   lol


It causes blockages....

Okay, so I am only 38?  Why should I worry about this now? Because I need to be pro-active regarding my health.  For my husband (sorry hon), and for our four awesome kids who deserve to have their parents around for years to come.

I do not want to take meds for this...   Have you even seen the side effects of this?

http://www.rxlist.com/lipitor-drug.htm   

Gosh, I do go on and on... must be my adult ADHD kicking in.  I wonder if that will improve after I remove wheat?  It helps children that's for sure!

Parents of austistic kids and kids with ADD report that when removing wheat from the children's foods, the children show more concentration, and all over better attitudes and behavior.

There's more...

Wheat intolerance is marked by stomach bloating, gas, fatigue and feeling unwell. Most importantly to those who may suffer from ADHD, wheat intolerance can cause cognitive problems, such as difficulty with memory and behavioral problems, according to wheat-free.org. Physician Dr. Leo Galland says that wheat is one of the most common foods, along with soy, eggs and dairy foods, to which children with ADHD are allergic. This sensitivity to wheat can lead to hyperactivity and learning and behavior problems.   SOURCE LISTED

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/380008-wheat-free-diet-for-adhd/#ixzz24ws6iw17


Just something to consider if you have kids... with adhd or not.

Okay, gotta fly!  Heading to TOM KATS in Sinky or lunch with my neighbors!  I already know what I am getting and I know he's not going to let me go sans panko bread crumbs on my salad.  NO CHANGES NO SUBSTITUTIONS is written all over the place!  lol

Have a sunny day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment