Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Word on the Street or soccer field, I suppose...

Day one was really interesting.  It's not like me to keep my thoughts to myself, as you know.  So I took my new found knowledge to the streets... well, not exactly.  It was more like the soccer fields.  During the downtime at Rage SC training, I brought up some of the wheat talk with the sidelines.  By far, the most overwhelming initial response was the same...



"I am not giving up beer."

I feel the same way... kinda.  The love for beer is among many of us, my husband included.  So, how do you conquer the wheat belly and still drink beer?  I'm not sure of the answer for everyone, but I will tell you this:  I know that drinking beer makes me feel a few things.  1. Happy, because it's alcohol.  We cannot deny that the alcohol in an ice cold beer makes us calmer, less stressed.  2. Pleasant, because I like the taste.  I have been enjoying the different summer ales all with enjoyment.  3. Bloated, because it's what happens.  I cannot  deny that after that delightful ice cold beverage I feel like a slob.   I want to get out of what I am wearing and put on sweats - with a forgiving elastic waistband.  4. Depressed, because I feel like a slob.  There's really nothing less appealing to anyone than someone who is in oversized clothing.  5. Embarrassed, because I am wearing oversized clothing.  I should not be dipping into my husbands shorts because they fit better.  I can't continue this pathetic course.  Now, I really am not dipping into my husbands comfy shorts... but I could be.



My point?  The initial enjoyment ends quickly.  The feelings of failure last much longer.  Failure because I drank a beer? Eh... kinda.  For me, at least.

So, I drank vodka and tonic last night, just because and you know what?  I woke up with a headache between my eyes.  Screw this.  I can't wake up at 6:30 to four children and a playful pooch with a headache.

Each of those 5 personalities has specific requirements in the morning.  I put Boomer in with the kids in this example because he is very needy in the a.m.   He barks when he wants something.  The barking gets louder, it annoys us all.  He wants to go out, to pee and to play NOW.  God forbid he hear Meggy or Nitro out... he's even more intolerant of the 2 minute wait.   This compounds the inevitable stress we feel on any given morning.

Five strong personalities and me.  It's early and I am not a morning person... so winding up with a headache was the last thing I needed this morning.  Idiot.  So, day two starts with the feeling of giving up the booze is not just a good idea, it's a requirement.  I cannot keep up my cool status as super mom if I awake to bulging eyes and pounding in my brain.  This, my friends, is how the resolve begins.

Oh... and to just add a few more comments about last nights soccer field "no wheat" discussion?  There was one person who I bet agrees with me and can see the reasoning.. that's Z.M.

The most realistic comment was "no pasta?"  But that's a good one.  How do you feed your family on a quick schedule in a filling manner without breaking the bank?  Pasta has been a staple for YEARS.  It's quick, it's carbs, it's good for the little athletes, right?  So, how does one replace that?



That's what I need to figure out...

Everyone else I think just enjoyed the banter and I'm okay with that too. :)

This mornings goal... to figure out what to feed my kids when the wheat bearing foods are gone from the pantry.  No small feat, I'm sure.


1 comment:

  1. Heather my sister drinks gluten free beer. I will check it out and let you know what it is....

    ReplyDelete